KIRK J. SCHNEIDER, Ph.D., is a licensed psychologist and leading spokesperson for contemporary existential-humanistic psychology. Dr. Schneider is past editor of the Journal of Humanistic Psychology, adjunct faculty at Saybrook University and Teachers College, Columbia University, and President of the Existential-Humanistic Institute (EHI), He is also a Fellow of three divisions of the American Psychological Association (Humanistic, Clinical, and Independent Practice) as well as a frequent speaker at conferences and in the media. He has authored or coauthored ten books, including *The Paradoxical Self, Horror and the Holy, Existential-Integrative Psychotherapy, and Awakening to Awe*.
Below are a sample of Dr. Schneider’s books
- The Paradoxical Self: Toward an Understanding of Our Contradictory Nature (Humanity Books, 1999; translated into Portuguese and Slovakian)
- Horror and the Holy: Wisdom-teachings of the Monster Tale (Open Court, 1993)
- The Psychology of Existence: An Integrative, Clinical Perspective, coauthored with Rollo May (McGraw-Hill; currently being translated into Chinese Short-Form)
- The Handbook of Humanistic Psychology: Leading Edges in Theory, Research and Practice coauthored with J. Bugental and F. Pierson (Sage Pub., 2001,2002, 2014)
- Rediscovery of Awe: Splendor, mystery, and the fluid center of life (Paragon House, 2004)
- Existential-Integrative Psychotherapy: Guideposts to the Core of Practice (Routledge, 2008; currently being partly translated into Russian).
Dr. Schneider is the 2004 recipient of the Rollo May award for “outstanding and independent pursuit of new frontiers in humanistic psychology” from the Humanistic Psychology Division of the American Psychological Association. Most recently, Dr. Schneider conducted Existential Therapy for an APA video series on psychotherapy called “psychotherapy over time” (see www.apa.org/videos) – http://www.apa.org/videos- and was the keynote speaker at the First International Existential Psychology Conference in Nanjing, China in 2010. Dr. Schneider is also slated to be keynote speaker at the First World Congress of Existential Therapy in London in May, 2015.
Dr. Schneider’s most recent books are:
- Existential-Humanistic Therapy (co-authored with Dr. Orah Krug) for the American Psychological Association Monograph series, to be sold together with Dr. Schneider’s video conducting Existential-Humanistic Therapy.
- Awakening to Awe
- The Polarized Mind
- For latest developments in existential-humanistic psychology, see The New Existentialist Website from Saybrook University
- The Existential-Humanistic Institute (EHI)
- Saybrook Graduate School
- Zur Institute’s Continuing Education Course on Existential-Humanistic Therapy: New and updated continuing education course with a rare audio recording of Rollo May on the nature and power of myth
- American Psychological Association Video and Books Series on Existential-Humanistic Therapy
- Dr. Louis Hoffman’s Existential Therapy Web Page
- Society for Humanistic Psychology of the APA
- Association for Humanistic Psychology
- Journal of Humanistic Psychology